Did you have braces when you were younger? Traditional orthodontic treatment is great for making dramatic changes to align your smile, but if you don’t use your retainer afterwards, the results won’t be around forever. Another popular option for straightening teeth is Invisalign, but what if you have already had braces? Are they still an option for you? Read on to learn more about Invisalign and if they are a possible treatment option to correct your smile.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Invisalign works by using a series of clear aligners to slowly straighten your smile to perfection. There are no metal brackets or wires required! Patients typically switch out their aligners for a new set every two weeks, and they must be worn at least 22 hours each day for the best possible results.
Can You Get Invisalign After Braces?
If you have already had braces are wonder whether or not Invisalign can undo the shifting that has occurred afterwards, you’re in luck! Many people choose to get Invisalign after braces in Lincoln Park. Just because you have had previous orthodontic work done doesn’t mean that you need to stop working towards the smile of your dreams. By seeing your dentist, you can determine if they are a good option for you.
What Are the Advantages of Invisalign?
Here are just some of the reasons why you may want to choose Invisalign over tradition braces in order to correct misalignment:
- Easy to maintain: It is difficult to keep your teeth clean when you have metal braces attached to your teeth. Clear aligners can be removed, so it is much easier to brush and floss properly in order to keep your teeth clean. This way, you don’t need to take extra time to work around the metal brackets and wires.
- Better appearance: The obvious advantage of Invisalign is that they are virtually invisible! Older teenagers and adults don’t prefer showing off metal braces everywhere they go. No one will even be able to tell that you are wearing Invisalign aligners. This way, you can still smile for the camera and talk with people without worrying how your teeth look.
- Eat whatever you want: Something that many patients dread about getting braces is the fact that they need to give up some of their favorite snacks. This isn’t an issue with Invisalign. Because you remove your aligners to eat, you can munch on anything you want! Just make sure you clean your teeth before putting them back in.
- Comfort: You can’t straighten your teeth completely free of discomfort, but Invisalign tends to use less pressure than traditional braces in order to move your teeth. This means minimal soreness.
- Effective: Just like traditional braces, Invisalign can fix a variety of misalignment issues, including overcrowding, underbites, crossbites, open bites, and gaps.
You can get Invisalign after orthodontic treatment, just talk to your dentist to come up with a plan for your unique smile!
About the Author
Dr. Samir K. Rana graduated from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He is committed to continuing education to keep his knowledge and skills sharp. Currently, he is also a proud member of numerous professional organizations, including the American Dental Association, American Academy of Implant Dentistry, and the New Jersey Dental Association. To learn more about Invisalign or to schedule a consultation at his office in Lincoln Park, visit his website or call (973) 633-5666.