If you’ve recently gotten Invisalign in Lincoln Park, congratulations! You’ve chosen an excellent way to straighten your teeth, without the hassle or inconvenience of wearing traditional braces. But, since you’ll be in treatment for a while, you might be wondering how you can adjust to life in Invisalign so that you get the most out of your experience – and the results you want – as easily and reliably as possible. In this blog, you’ll learn four great tips so that your journey to straight, beautiful teeth is smooth from start to finish. Learn more below!
Care For Your Aligners
You’ll be switching your aligners out about every two weeks, but it’s still important to maintain them so they can do their job (and you can get your results). Here are some easy ways to care for them:
- Keep them clean – When you remove your aligners for meals, always rinse them well and be sure to brush before putting them back in.
- Store them properly – You would be surprised at how many patients have stored their trays in a paper towel or napkin during meals, only to accidentally throw them away after eating.
- Put them in correctly – You’ll be inserting and removing your trays several times a day, so be sure to ask your dentist for a demonstration so you don’t warp or damage them. Also, remember not to bite your trays into position. Instead, apply even pressure on both sides until they snap into place.
Sing To Help You Adjust To Speaking Clearly
At first, your trays will feel foreign in your mouth, so it might take a day or two for you to adjust to speaking clearly with them. One easy trick is to sing out loud to help your tongue adapt to its new position.
Rest assured that it won’t take long before you’ll forget you have your trays in at all!
Know What To Avoid
One of the best things about Invisalign is that the “Avoid” list is so short, but there are still a few things you shouldn’t do while in treatment:
- Avoid chewing gum.
- Don’t drink anything but water while your trays are in. Other beverages can stain or warp your trays, or cause them to develop odors.
- Don’t smoke or chew tobacco.
Maintain Good Hygiene
Another huge advantage of Invisalign is that it’s so much easier to keep your teeth and gums clean during treatment. Brushing thoroughly at least twice a day and flossing once will ensure that your smile feels as great as it looks.
Also, continue getting regular checkups with a cosmetic dentist in Lincoln Park. That way, you’ll not only have a straight, beautiful smile, but a healthy one as well!
About the Author
Dr. Samir Rana is a general, restorative and cosmetic dentist in Lincoln Park who loves offering an alternative way to straighten teeth without brackets and wires. He gets immense professional satisfaction from seeing how Invisalign gives his patients the smile they’ve always wanted, along with a newfound sense of confidence. If you have any additional questions about Invisalign, he can be contacted via his website or at (973) 633-5666.